Lucky to be Alive

Posted by Sam on July 30, 2011

I don’t have much time for a real post so this will just be a small update. I went on the most dangerous run of my life yesterday. It was the first time I was actually scared for my life. 4 miles away from my house I realized I had to crap really badly. A mile later or so I realized the sky was looking pretty bad and it seemed like it was going to pour. Another mile later I had to give in to the poop and just do it. I ran off the side of the road and went. Feeling refreshed and worried that I would get rained on I started running home pretty fast. Lightning and thunder started coming out of nowhere. Huge bolts of lightning were coming down and the thunder was really loud. The rain didn’t start yet but I was waiting for it. I took off my head phones and put them in the plastic bag I was carrying which also contained my ipod. A mile and a half away from home the rain started coming down. At first it wasn’t terrible, the lightning scared me more, but a few minutes later it started coming down extremely hard. I was about a mile away from my house and it was the one of the worst storms I’ve seen period  let alone been caught running in. The wind was blowing the rain right in my eyes and it got to the point where I was running with both eyes closed because there was so much water in them. I had to stop and wipe them dry. Another 200 meters later I had to do the same thing. The wind was blowing so hard that when the rain hit my chest it actually hurt. It felt like a swarm of horseflies were biting me in the chest over and over again. Cars all around had their blinkers on because you couldn’t see 20 feet in front of you. The water on the side of the road was flowing like a goddamn river. I traveled a mile and half in 10:11 which is 6:45ish pace but it was easily sub 6 effort the whole way. I was just waiting to get struck by lightning or have a tree fall on me. My mom said she went out to try and look for me but it was raining so hard that she couldn’t even make it out of the neighborhood. Eventually I made it back but it was terrible. It was the most dangerous 10 minutes of any run I’ve ever been on.

After that I went to Ursinus to visit Ben. Him, Wacker, Gizzy, and Obama were already there eating burgers and steaks so I was quick to join. We played drinking games and hung out and that was about it. We were drinking sour apple Smirnoff which was actually pretty good as gay as it is. At some point we decided to go pool hopping and swim in this one pool. It was actually pretty refreshing. It wasn’t a crazy night but it was fun nonetheless. I woke up today pretty hungover and feeling bad. Wacker and I muscled out 6 miles and I actually felt pretty good. This week is another record setter in terms of running but it’s not over so I won’t speak too soon. It’s only Saturday but I don’t plan on drinking tonight. 3 more weeks until school.

Filed under Drinking Running

One thought on “Lucky to be Alive

  1. When I read the title I was concerned about you and thought you got in an accident or something bad, but then I found out it was just the rain…poon